Applied Physics Laboratory
Seattle, WA 98185
Application of large data sets, particularly from satellite sensors, to problems of climate, atmosphere-ocean interaction and ocean circulation. In collaboration with numerical modelers and scientists who make in situ measurements, understand the ocean and improve the quality of satellite data.
1983 Ph.D., Oceanography, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA
1977 B.S., Engineering, Math/Statistics (with highest honors), University of California, Berkley, CA
1999-present Principle Oceanographer, Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington
1997-Visiting Professor, School of Oceanography, University of Washington
1996-1999 Senior Oceanographer, Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington
1995-1996 Associate Scientist with tenure, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
1991-1994 Associate Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
1986-1991 Assistant Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
1984-1986 Post-doctoral Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
1983 Green Scholar, Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
1978-1983 Research Assistant, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Advisor: Myrl Hendershott
1977-1978 Assistant Engineer, Brown and Caldwell, Consulting Engineers
1975-1977 Engineering Aide, Contra Costa County Public Works Department
1972-1974 Apprentice Auto Mechanic; Consumers Co-op of Berkeley
Honors And Awards
- National Science Foundation Visiting Professorship for Women, School of Oceanography, University of Washington, 1997.
Outstanding Poster Awards, Satellite Atlimetery and the Oceans, Toulouse, France, 1983.Post-doctoral Scholarship, WHOI, 1983-1984.
- Cecil H. and Ida Green Scholar, University of California, San Diego, 1983.
- Regents graduate fellowship, 1978-1979.
- Phi Beta Kappa,1977.
- Engineering Alumni Society Scholarship, 1976-1977
Publications in Refereed Journals
- Kelly, K.A. and S. Dong, 2004: The relationship of western boundary current heat transport and storage to mid-latitude ocean-atmosphere interaction, Ocean-Atmosphere Interaction and Climate Variability, AGU monograph, in press.
- Kelly, K.A., S. Dickinson, and G.C. Johnson, 2004: Comparisons of scatterometer and TAO winds reveal time-varying surface currents for the tropical Pacific Ocean, J. Atmos. and Ocean. Tech., revised.
- Kelly, K.A., 2004: Wind data: a promise in peril, Science, 303, 13 Feb 2004, 962-963.
- Kelly, K.A., 2004: The relationship between oceanic heat transport and surface fluxes in the western North Pacific: 1970-2000, J. Clim., 17, 573-588.
- Dong, S. and K.A. Kelly, 2004: Heat budget in the Gulf Stream region: the importance of heat storage and advection, J. Phys. Ocean., 34, 1214-1231.
- Dong, S., and K. A. Kelly, 2003: Seasonal and interannual variations in geostrophic velocity in the Middle Atlantic Bight, J. Geophys. Res., 108(C6), 10.1029/ 2002JC001357.
- Vivier, F., K. A. Kelly, L. Thompson, 2002: Heat budget in the Kuroshio Extension region: 1993-1999, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 32, 3436-3454.
- Thompson, L., K. A. Kelly, D. Darr, and R. Hallberg, 2002: Buoyancy and mixed-layer effects on the sea surface height response in an isopycnal model of the North Pacific , J. Phys. Oceanogr., 32, 3657-3670.
- Kelly, K. A., and L. Thompson, 2002: Scatterometer winds explain damped Rossby waves, Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, 10.129/2002GL015595.
- Kelly, K. A., S. Dickinson, M.J. McPhaden, and G. C. Johnson, Ocean currents evident in satellite wind data, 2001: Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 2469-2472.
- Dickinson, S., K.A. Kelly, M.J. Caruso and M.J. McPhaden, 2001: Comparisons between the TAO buoy and NASA scatterometer wind vectors, J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 18, 799-806.
- Yu, Z.-J., J. P. McCreary, W. S. Kessler, and K. A. Kelly, 2000: Influence of equatorial dynamics on the Pacific Equatorial Countercurrent, J. Phys. Ocean., 30, 3179-3190.
- Vivier, F., K.A. Kelly, and L. Thompson, 1999: The contributions of wind forcing, waves, and surface heating to sea surface height observations in the pacific ocean, J. Geophys. Res.-Oceans, 104, 20,767-20,788.
- K.A. Kelly, L. Thompson, and Vivier, F., 1999: Heat content changes in the Pacific Ocean, Science, 284, 5421.
- Kelly, K.A., S. Dickinson, and Z.-J. Yu, 1999: NSCAT tropical wind stress maps: Implications for improving ocean modeling, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 104, 11,291-11,310.
- Kelly, K.A., R.C. Beardsley, R. Limeburner, K.H. Brink, J.D. Paduan, and T.K. Chereskin, 1998: Variability of the near-surface eddy kinetic energy in the California Current based on altimeter, drifter, and moored current data, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 103, 13,067-13,083.
- Kelly, K.A., S. Singh and R.X. Huang, 1998: Seasonal variations of sea surface height in the Gulf Stream region, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 29, 313-327.
- Gille, S.T. and K.A. Kelly, 1996: Scales of spatial and temporal variability in the Southern Ocean, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 101, 8759-8773.
- Kelly, K.A., M.J. Caruso, S. Singh and B. Qiu, 1996: Observations of atmosphere-ocean coupling in midlatitude western boundary currents, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 101, 6295-6312.
- Kelly, K.A. and B. Qiu, 1995: Heat flux estimates for the Western North Atlantic, Part I: assimilation of satellite data into a mixed layer model, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 25 (10), 2344-2360.
- Kelly, K.A. and B. Qiu, 1995: Heat flux estimates for the Western North Atlantic, Part II: the upper ocean heat balance, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 25 (10), 2361-2373.
- Kelly, K.A. and D.R. Watts, 1994: Monitoring Gulf Stream transport by radar altimeter and inverted echo sounders, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 24 , 1080-1084.
- Chelton, D.B., W.F. Eddy et al, 1994: "Report on Statistical and Physical Oceanography:, National Research Council Report, Statistical Science, 9, 167-221.
- Kelly, K.A., 1994: Reply to "Comment on 'Comparisons of velocity estimates from AVHRR in the coastal transition zone' by Stephen J. Walker", J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 99, 10,301- .
- Qiu, N. and K.A. Kelly, 1993: Upper-ocean heat balance in the Kuroshio Extension region, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 23, 2027-2041.
- Kelly, K.A., M.J. Caruso and J.A. Austin, 1993: Wind-forced variations in sea surface height in the northeast Pacific Ocean, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 23, 2392-2411.
- Kelly, K.A. and P.T. Strub, 1992: Comparison of velocity estimates from AVHRR in the coastal transition zone, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans,97, 9653-9668.
- Kelly, K.A., T.M. Joyce, D.M. Schubert and M.J. Caruso, 1991: The mean sea surface height and geoid along the Geosat subtrack from Bermuda to Cape Cod, J. Geophys. Res -Oceans, 96, 12,699-12,709.
- Kelly, K.A., 1991: The meandering Gulf Stream as seen by the Geos! at altimeter: surface transport, position and velocity variance from 73 to 46W, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 96, 16,721-16,738.
- Qiu, B., K.A. Kelly and T.M. Joyce, 1991: Mean flow and variability of the Kurishio Extension from Geosat altimetry data, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 96, 18,491-18,507.
- Joyce, T.M., K.A. Kelly, D.M. Schubert and M.J. Caruso, 1990: Shipboard and altimetric studies of rapid Gulf Stream variability between Cape Cod and Bermuda, Deep-Sea Res., 37, 897-910.
- Kelly, K.A. and S.T. Gille, 1990: Gulf Stream surface transport and statistics at 69° W from the Geosat altimeter, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans,95, 3149-3161.
- Kelly, K.A. and M.J. Caruso, 1990: A modified objective mapping technique for scatterometer wind data, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, 95, 13,483-13,496.
- Kelly, K.A., 1989: An inverse model for near-surface velocity from infrared images, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 19, 1845-1864.
- Kelly, K.A. and D.C. Chapman, 1988: The response of stratified shelf and slope waters of steady offshore forcing, J. Phys. Oceanogr.,18, 906-925.
- Kelly, K.A., 1988: Comment on "Empirical orthogonal function analysis of advanced very high resolution radiometer surface temperature patterns in Santa Barbara Channel" by G.S.E. Lagerloef and R.L. Bernstein, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 93, 15,753-15,754.
- Kelly, K.A. and R.E. Davis, 1986: An analysis of errors in sea surface temperature in a series of infrared images from NOAA-6, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 91, 2633-2644.
- Kelly, K.A., 1985: The influence of winds and topography on the sea surface temperature patterns over the northern California slope, J. Geophys. Res - Oceans, 90, 11,783-11,798.
- Kelly, K.A., 1985: Separating clouds from ocean in infrared images, Remote Sens. Environ., 17, 67-83